Sunday, January 10, 2016

a letter home from rome


Moving to my new apartment, I came across a letter I wrote to myself at the end of my mission a little over a year ago. This what definitely one of the highest points in my life so far, and it was such a boost to read this lil' letter and check myself [especially after 2015, one of the most challenging years of my life...]. God is good.

December 9th, 2014

Dear [Future] Jessica,

There are a lot of things I learned in my mission that I hope you are still doing. I just spent a year and a half telling people that these simple things will make them happy, and pleading with them to look to God and live. I hope you remember what those things are, but if you don't, I'll spell it out for you:

* If you study/practice anything for 60 minutes per day, you will get pretty good at it! * The only way to learn/maintain a second language is to SPEAK (remember all the whiners at english course that complained about not learning english? It's because they didn't speak ever * It doesn't matter how much of the scriptures you read everyday - but you have to open the book and read a little! The word of God changes you more than anything else * John 12:26-27, Mosiah 24:13-16, Helaman 5:12 * If you're not feeling the spirit, maybe you need to create a more reverent atmosphere and evaluate your priorities * You were divinely ordained to be a mom... it doesn't matter what career you choose, but how you live and standing for what you believe does matter * PRAY ALWAYS. Ask. I get answers a lot by talking it out * Selfish = unhappy. Look around and see who you can help * You will get a lot out of church if you go with the right attitude * If thine eye be single, they whole body shall be full of light * Short and long term goals make a successful person * Shoot an email to those Italians telling them you love them * Temple attendance. AKA remember your covenants. You have a temple(s) super close! Little old Fratello Battezzato is taking a 3-day bus ride from Sicily to get to his! So go! * Mornings are a productive time, believe it or not *

I lived 18 months striving to live like Jesus and to have the Spirit, and I am completely changed for the better. There can always be more good change. So keep up the good patterns. TI VOGLIO BENE. Christ = #1.

Love, Me

1 comment:

Olivia said...

I just typed in cuzwearefriends.blogspot.com to see if you'd written lately and I almost died when it said that your website was no longer available! Good thing I follow you!! And this letter to yourself was exactly what I needed to read today. Thanks so much.